Spring into Green - Cream of Broccoli Soup
Cream of Broccoli Soup
It is supposed to be "Spring", but out here in the midwest, there is no sign of it yet!! The weekend was cloudy, windy, rainy and bleh! We wanted to enjoy this weekend of spring break and decided to just stay in at home and get cozy - switch on the fireplace, cuddle under blankets, watch movies and eat comfort food - so that's what we did.
Cream of Broccoli soup ranks high in my son's list of comfort food. From the time he could eat solids, he has loved spinach, broccoli and all things green. This weekend I decided to surprise him with his favorite soup. He was upstairs playing with a friend but his nose lured him downstairs. "I thought I smelled c-o-b soup!!!" He was delighted and waited impatiently while I took a few pictures of the soup.
I had a couple of hungry kids waiting to devour the end result, so I couldn't take a picture to my satisfaction, but the soup went down very well!!
I make it very simple, without a lot of added ingredients so the flavor is very simple and mild.
Creamy, Velvety, Smooth, Comforting, "Bowl of Green Goodness" - Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 cup of chopped broccoli
2 cups of milk
1 tbsp flour (All Purpose/maida)
1 tbsp butter
1/2 of a small piece of garlic (optional)
1 tbsp chopped white onion
salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the broccoli, garlic (if using) and onion. Chop really fine so that you can avoid having to puree or blend the soup later.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute till translucent.
- Add the flour and saute till the flour turns a light brown and has a slight nutty aroma.
- Add the broccoli and saute a little.
- Add the milk and stir with a whisk to avoid lumping.
- Heat/boil till desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a small microwaved floret of broccoli.
- Serve with garlic bread.