Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Fabulous Fakes - Samosas

samosa

Shamosas - Fabulous Fake Samosas


"You know what I want for my next birthday?" says my daughter.
"what?", I say, only half listening.

"I want a Diamond necklace" she says
"uh huh", I say, engrossed in surfing the 'net.

"You know that Diamonds are my favorite gems, right?"
"ummm", I say, still googling.

"and because I love Pearls , I think I want a Pearl necklace too. Can I get both? or maybe one necklace with both Diamonds and Pearls?"
"huh? what? did you say diamonds and pearls"?, I say, finally snapping to attention.

Whatever happened to "I want cake and balloons" or "I want a Barbie doll for my birthday" ? Never mind the fact that she had her 6th birthday about 3 weeks ago, and never mind that she already has a jewelry box full of jewelery (all fake of course!), she is already planning her 7th birthday! Looks like she is becoming quite the little woman.

There used to be a store in the Mall that was called "Fabulous Fakes". They sold all kinds of pretty trinkets and jewelery - good eye candy. I didn't buy anything there, but used to go there to browse for good jewelery patterns. Unfortunately they went out of business. Looks like there wasn't a huge market for fake jewelry!! Surprising huh?

What's the point of this story you say? Well, the point is that "Fabulous Fake" is an excellent description for this appetizer I came up with yesterday :)

It is a take on the Indian "Samosa" - a turnover filled with a spicy mixture of potatoes and peas. Read Wikipedia's description here. Instead of the traditional filled triangle, I opted for a puff pastry "cup" filled with a mixture of potato and spices. Since my daughter hates, yes, hates peas, I omitted it.

Unlike the samosa, where the filling in completely ensconced in the pastry shell, this version has the filling sitting in a little pastry cup, so the yummy filling is visible and tempting.

I came up with "Shamosa" as the name for this treat - "sham" as in fake - get it? I thought it was rather clever and was giggling all day over it!!

This is my second entry to VKN's MyDhaba blog event - VCC # 4.

Made in little mini-muffin pans, these Shamosas, are just perfect as finger food and can be elegantly and delicately popped into your mouth. Perfect for an afternoon tea - "Pinkies Up!"


Ingredients:
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry (Pepperidge Farms)
2 small potatoes
2 red chillies
2 tsp corriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
1 small pod of garlic
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cilantro leaves
salt to taste


samosa spices

spices - coriander, cumin and red chillies



samosa filling

potato filling



samosa to bake

Shamosas in mini muffin pans, ready to bake


Method:
  1. Thaw the puff pastry sheets for 40 mins. The instructions may differ for other brands.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  3. Boil the potatoes and dice into small cubes. (I just microwaved them in a bowl of water)
  4. Coarsely crush the spices in a mortar and pestle. I happen to love the taste and texture of freshly ground spices. You can use garam masala or finely powder the spices.
  5. Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan.
  6. Add the asafoetida powder
  7. Add the spices and fry till fragrant.
  8. Add crushed ginger and garlic.
  9. Add the potatoes, turmeric and salt.
  10. When they are well mixed, add the cilantro leaves and allow to cool in a bowl.
  11. Roll out the pastry sheet till it gets slightly flattened.
  12. Cut into 3 inch squares.
  13. Put each square into an ungreased muffin pan.
  14. Add 1 or 1.5 tsp of filling in each cup
  15. Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
  16. Serve wth condiments of your choice (tomato sauce, chilli sauce, coriander chutney, or tamarind chutney)
  17. One sheet of pastry dough makes about 25 shamosas.

ps. When I was taking the picture of the stacked samosas, there were 4 kids playing hide and go seek in the room. One was hiding behind the plant that you see in the background and one was under the table where the samosas are. I had strict instructions to not reveal their hiding place, but now that the game is over ....:) :)



Search Tags: , , , , , , ,

50 Comments:

At Wed Apr 05, 08:44:00 AM 2006, Anonymous tony said...

Mme, I say amazing photographs. Of course the recipes are GREAT but I just love the pictures, and looooks so clean. I am totally bowled....

 
At Wed Apr 05, 08:46:00 AM 2006, Blogger Krithika said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wed Apr 05, 08:47:00 AM 2006, Blogger Krithika said...

Great pictures ! Making these in muffin pan is a great idea. I always made it in a triangular shape.

 
At Wed Apr 05, 08:47:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Gini said...

What creativity! That is a really cool idea.

 
At Wed Apr 05, 09:26:00 AM 2006, Anonymous tony said...

Hey SF, I have tagged you for a meme... I gues this will be your first meme.
Do respond.. :-)

 
At Wed Apr 05, 09:46:00 AM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

Tony, I'm extremely flattered!!

Yes, this will be my first meme. I had to actually go look up what a meme is! isn't that shameful?

thanks a ton!

 
At Wed Apr 05, 10:24:00 AM 2006, Blogger Vineela said...

Hi SH,
This is very good idea of baking in Muffin tray.
Nice photos and good recipe.
Vineela

 
At Wed Apr 05, 10:34:00 AM 2006, Blogger Priya said...

YUMMO ! love those samosas. great pics, i made cheese twists with patry sheets yday, i wish u had posted this recipe yday.

 
At Wed Apr 05, 11:28:00 AM 2006, Blogger RP said...

Everything just look great. The recipe, pictures, imagination.... This is the winner if I am the judge. :)

 
At Wed Apr 05, 12:01:00 PM 2006, Blogger Revathi said...

What is great ?? Your fotos or your narration or your enthusiasm over food - Reallly incredible.

 
At Wed Apr 05, 12:05:00 PM 2006, Blogger Santhi said...

All I can say is FANTASTIC.....

 
At Wed Apr 05, 12:06:00 PM 2006, Blogger KrishnaArjuna said...

SH,
Great idea!! and great pictures.

 
At Wed Apr 05, 12:57:00 PM 2006, Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Saffron: As always you are unbelivable. How could you produce such amazing pictures, really astonishing buddy, Keep up your great work.
P.S. When hubby comes home, i always show your pics, he used to say that you got great taste and the photogenic eyes:) Today one more to show him
I am bowled over by your picture gallery:)

 
At Wed Apr 05, 01:03:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY brilliant! loved ur comments and of cos the fab pics - mmmmmouthwatering!!! ABA

 
At Wed Apr 05, 01:23:00 PM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

Tony, thanks! you are bowling me over with the compliments :)

Krithika yup, triangular is more traditional, so I thought I would try this for a change.

Gini, Vineela Thanks!

Priya I checkout out your twists today, and they look super yummy!!

RP, Revathi, Santhi, KA, you guys are too kind! thanks so much

Kitchenmate, ABA Thanks! glad you appreciate my writing :)

 
At Wed Apr 05, 02:25:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my lil one's b'day is soon coming, a good idea.
good post and nice pictures.

lakshmi

myrasoi

 
At Wed Apr 05, 02:44:00 PM 2006, Blogger BDSN said...

Shamosas is CUTE!!! i guess i will be giggling too..It's really very funny and smart...man can u send over those shamosas to my house...

 
At Wed Apr 05, 06:23:00 PM 2006, Blogger Tanuja said...

ur such an great artist , great samosas , ur pictures are great.

 
At Thu Apr 06, 12:03:00 AM 2006, Blogger shammi said...

Neat idea! :)

I think until I come across a not-great photo from you (which will be never), shall we take it for granted that I'm bowled over by all your pix, without my having to say so each time I leave a comment? ;)

 
At Thu Apr 06, 01:45:00 AM 2006, Blogger Vaishali said...

That was very clever with the name, Saffron Hut. Are you creative or r u creative! Great pics again. I want to say what Shammi has said. Ditto.

 
At Thu Apr 06, 05:48:00 AM 2006, Blogger Nandita said...

Nothing to say that the past comments havent said already!
Great mix of imagination, creativity and presentation -- Your photos look absolutely pro!
Nandita

 
At Thu Apr 06, 07:49:00 AM 2006, Anonymous tony said...

actually I linked one of ur recipes in my last weekend's curry mela, but then i was in a hurry browsing sites and trying to compile the lists, so didn't notice how clean and nice the pictures actually looked... Yesterday I could't help gazing... I am an ardent fan of good photography... and good food..

 
At Thu Apr 06, 10:01:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Shamosa'..hmmm,funky name. Look delicious. Your pics are mind-blowing!
Hide-n-seek is fun! I've had the best times of my childhood playing I-Spy.
Sandhya

 
At Thu Apr 06, 01:51:00 PM 2006, Blogger Anjali said...

Smart .. you are good in creating new amazing recipes!! And great pics ... what camera do you use?

 
At Thu Apr 06, 07:34:00 PM 2006, Blogger Alexandra said...

Hi there! It was my first time visiting your site and I was pleasantly greeted by very yummy looking shamosas ;) cute name! I bet they tasted wonderful! I love your photography!! I need to learn a thing or two from you. I just started my own food blog a week ago but I still have so much to learn!

 
At Thu Apr 06, 07:35:00 PM 2006, Blogger Alexandra said...

Hi there! It was my first time visiting your site and I was pleasantly greeted by very yummy looking shamosas ;) cute name! I bet they tasted wonderful! I love your photography!! I need to learn a thing or two from you. I just started my own food blog a week ago but I still have so much to learn!

 
At Fri Apr 07, 12:57:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Lera said...

What a way to describe the yummy snack......you got a full hundred for your natural effusiveness ,in making this a delicious read..:)

Happy blogging & cheers!

 
At Sat Apr 08, 06:33:00 AM 2006, Blogger Sury said...

Delightful entry. May you win; this sure is a highly deserving post in all respects.

Looking forward to more such relishes from you :)

 
At Sat Apr 08, 06:41:00 PM 2006, Blogger Luv2cook said...

Hey SH:

Lovely pics and WHAT an IDEA. Very creative, indeed!

 
At Sun Apr 09, 06:37:00 AM 2006, Blogger sailu said...

Creative food and equally creative photography!

 
At Mon Apr 10, 12:23:00 PM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

Everyone, thanks for the kind praise.

Shammi oh, stop! you are making me blush!

Vaishali, Nandita, Tanuja, anjali ditto what I said to Shammi!!

BSDN a few are on their way to you in cyberspace!

alexandra Welcome to my blog. yup, they were quite yummy:). You've got a good blog going. Best wishes!

Lera That is so nice of you! a 100!! wow! thanks!

Sury you are such a darling! thanks for the wishes!!

 
At Fri Apr 14, 08:52:00 PM 2006, Blogger starry nights said...

just happened to come across your site,loved the pictures and the recepies ,everything looks delicious.

 
At Sat Apr 15, 08:15:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Manisha said...

SH, great idea! I make baked samosas this way. I fold the pastry into a triangle to make it 'look' like a samosa. The kids love it!

 
At Sat Apr 22, 09:00:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried these Shamosas for my party yesterday and it was a great hit! BTW, I only cut them to 3 cm sqares and made them in a mini muffin pan. Everybody loved this idea. Thanks a lot!

 
At Sat Jun 17, 06:16:00 PM 2006, Blogger Fabio has something to say said...

I stumbled across your blog on a search for "fabulous blogs"...now I know why you are considered fabulous! It looks like we have more in common than blogging!

 
At Sat Jun 17, 06:18:00 PM 2006, Blogger Fabio has something to say said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Fri Jul 28, 01:30:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,The Picture looks yummy.Where can we find these pastry sheets.Can we get these in any grocery store.

 
At Sat Aug 12, 09:41:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Suzanne said...

I made these yesterday evening with two girlfriends. It was a fun project to make together and everyone LOVED them! We made a full size version and a mini version with and without peas...my friend doesn't like them either. (They did seem to take longer to cook to golden perfection than you specified.) I served them with a delicious pear, cardamom chutney, which offset the spice nicely. Thank you so much for giving us Somosa-craving non-indians a go at an old favorite. Fantastic! Think that I will teach this recipe in my "Easy Indian" cooking class. (I will give you full credit!)

 
At Tue Oct 17, 07:44:00 AM 2006, Blogger Maheswari said...

Tried these fabulous samosas this weekend..(pic.s in my blog)..everyone loved it..thanks to you..

 
At Sun Nov 19, 09:26:00 AM 2006, Anonymous suma said...

Tried this last night for a party and it was a big hit. Thanks.

 
At Mon Dec 11, 01:34:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great one.. I really love the photos.. Yummy :))

Am planning to make this for my office party this week.. I have to bring this for our lunch party. Can i make this in the morning and keep it outside for a while? Will this be crispy.. till noon..

Advice plzzzzzzz

 
At Wed Feb 14, 01:13:00 PM 2007, Blogger A Yunus said...

Every recipe, preparation, presentation and photos just make them to feel extra-ordinary than homely. But easy ones indeed. I have never opted to do Samosas cos of time and being novice....but I think...I can try this Shamosas now.

I had left you some notes abt photography soemtime back...but I think you have changed your place/blog from then on, neways Happy blogging and 'Click'ing...Iam adding you to my blogroll!!

 
At Thu Mar 22, 01:55:00 PM 2007, Blogger pal said...

nice recipe...

will try it
can u tell me for how long did u microwave potatoes.. i always do it in cooker but want to try in microwave...

 
At Wed Jun 27, 08:08:00 PM 2007, Blogger Sreelu said...

All I can say is absoutely gorgeous, very well presented

 
At Mon Oct 01, 08:24:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw this photo here

http://surveysan.blogspot.com/2007/09/fullmeals.html

 
At Fri Nov 16, 08:15:00 PM 2007, Blogger Project 71 said...

Hi! My name is Project 71. Weird name I know, but my masters are weird too. My masters apologize for such an out-of-context comment and they know how painful such spamlike comments are. But, say masters, how else are we to present something good to the world. By that they mean me :D. Kindly see what I am about. Won't take you more than 22s to read... http://www.project71.com/readme Enjoyy!

 
At Sun Dec 30, 10:04:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Aastha said...

Hey, I tried it today, it was great! Everyone loved it. I added some cucumbers and yogurt instead of sour cream. They were a hit!

 
At Sat Jun 06, 01:42:00 PM 2009, Blogger Dino said...

Oh. My. GODS. Those are not only beautifully, but cunningly clever. I have never seen such a cute idea for samosas. The rest of your blog is beautiful too, filled with such mouth-watering pictures. Thank you for bringing good food to so many people in such an elegant way. I have linked all my friends to this recipe, so they can make it too.

 
At Fri Feb 19, 07:06:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

 
At Sun Mar 21, 04:00:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i very adore your own writing style, very remarkable,
don't quit and also keep penning considering it just simply that is worth to look through it,
excited to browse through way more of your content, regards :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home