Monday, March 27, 2006

Fusion Confusion - Chip'n Chaat

chip'n chat
Mexican Indian Chaat


Ok, I did it again. I went shopping when I was hungry!! You would think that by now, I would know that it is a very bad idea to go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Luscious looking baked goods, chips, honey roasted peanuts- all beckon to me from the grocer's shelves. I go into a sort of trance, my cart has a will of it's own, and when I find myself at the checkout line, I have a cartful of the dreaded "Junk Food".

I had a shopping spree like this last week and I brought home a bag of Tostitos scoops chips. Not as bad as some of my other purchases, which "ahem" shall go unnamed for the purposes of this post.

Anyways, I was about to make my usual dip of flaming hot salsa for me and hubby and cheesy dip for the kids, when I remembered the FMR #4- Fusion Event being hosted by the lovely Meenakshi of Hooked on Heat. I had also wanted to participate in the VCC held by VKN of MyDhaba fame. Hmmmm, I wonder if can get a two-fer with this appetizer by submitting it to both events!!

Nostalgic memories of Bombay street food combined with a desire to create something healthy led to this delicious snack. I tried a batch and it was proclaimed a hit by both my kids. Tried it on hubby when he came home and he too loved it.

Thus was born - "Chip'n Chaat" - my MexIndian remix of "Dahi Batata Poori"

It has less carbs than the potato version. The corn chip holds up beautifully to the filling and doesn't go soggy up to an hour, making it very ideal for party food. It requires very minimal prep work. To give it a Mexican touch, I substituted the potatoes with black beans for additional protein and fiber. I replaced the yogurt with sour cream, because I am in a sour cream phase of late and have been putting it on everything !!

My 6 year old says "this is so good, you should be one of those men in India who have a cart of food on the beach and sell food to people" !! Well, I suppose it is nice to know that I will make a good "Bhelpuri-wala" - not that there is anything wrong with that - Seinfeld anyone?

So, here it is - my entry to the FMR #4 Fusion event : Chip'n Chaat

Ingredients:

Tostitos "Scoops" chips, as many as you feel like eating!
1 small can of black beans, rinsed and drained (I use Progresso)
1 cup green coriander/cilantro chutney
1 cup tamarind chutney
1 small tomato, chopped
1 small carton of sour cream
1 packet of sev
couple of tablespoons of chat masala I use MDH's chunky chat masala
chopped cilantro for garnish

Method:


  1. Arrange the Tostitos on a plate
  2. Drop in a couple of black beans in each chip
  3. Spoon in the chutneys as per your taste
  4. Drizzle on the sour cream
  5. Sprinkle the chat masala
  6. Garnish with cilantro,tomato and sev
  7. Munch with gusto



That's all there is to it. What could be simpler?

chat

Mexican-Indian Chaat


Go ahead, pop one in your mouth, you know you want to !!!!

36 Comments:

At Mon Mar 27, 12:11:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a silent lurker, but i couldn't help commenting this time. This may seem redundant, but I absolutely adore the way you present food. Appetizers are my favourite part of any meal, and this is such a novel way of having chips.

 
At Mon Mar 27, 12:37:00 PM 2006, Blogger shammi said...

True, I want to! I've just GOT to invite myself over ;)

 
At Mon Mar 27, 01:09:00 PM 2006, Blogger Vaishali said...

Oooooh, I want one of those. No, I want more than one of those. What a great idea and what great pictures, SH! How do you manage to click such lovely photographs? I, too, have a Kodak 3.2 mega pixels camera, but my pictures never turn out so well. Anyway, a very good post, SH.

 
At Mon Mar 27, 01:20:00 PM 2006, Blogger spicehut said...

Dahi batata puri & sour cream....dont torture us so...:) lovely idea.

 
At Mon Mar 27, 01:35:00 PM 2006, Blogger Kitchenmate said...

looks so yummy with these great pictures, want to grab one :)
As always I wonder how could you take such great pictures, you are awesome:)

 
At Mon Mar 27, 03:24:00 PM 2006, Blogger Vineela said...

Hi,
Nice pics. i do make this chat without adding sev .i will use poha insted of that .
Another new recipe into my cookbook.
vineela

 
At Tue Mar 28, 05:49:00 AM 2006, Blogger Krithika said...

I expect nothing but innovative ideas from you. Will defenitely try this.

 
At Tue Mar 28, 06:25:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Annita said...

You really have a future in photography..and i appreciate ur creativity as well..Simply gr8 idea and it looks gorgeous..I was looking for an easy party snack for my toddler's b'day..and this is it..:)Thanks..

 
At Tue Mar 28, 07:34:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, how I wish I could pop a couple in my mouth! they look scrumptious! trying your spinach parathas today! ABA

 
At Tue Mar 28, 07:56:00 AM 2006, Blogger Nupur said...

Beautiful!! I am addicted to chips and chaat and this post is making me hungry. I sometimes make this kind of chaat on potato chips, but now I have to try it with tortilla chips.

 
At Tue Mar 28, 12:25:00 PM 2006, Blogger Reshma said...

stunning!

 
At Tue Mar 28, 11:02:00 PM 2006, Blogger Meeta said...

Hi SH,

This is lookin' delish! I will be entertaining this weekend and think I will be trying out this idea. Will have to vary a little as I do not get every ingredient here in Germany but I'll dedicate it to you when I'm asked where the idea comes from.

To tell you the truth I am so glad to have found you and a few other Indian bloggers that I have been telling all my family everywhere. I am a bit starved when it comes to Indian things out here so I love just getting closer to anything that reminds me of home!

Would love to see you all on my blogs:

The Daily Tiffin
What's For Lunch Honey?
The Family Buzz

 
At Wed Mar 29, 02:15:00 AM 2006, Blogger Puspha said...

Super good. Thumbs up!!

 
At Wed Mar 29, 03:21:00 AM 2006, Blogger Vaishali said...

Hi SH,
I've started my own food blog. Please visit it, when you have the time.

http://www.happyburp.blogspot.com

Thanks.

 
At Wed Mar 29, 05:40:00 AM 2006, Blogger Lakshmi said...

wow, looks so yummy , just want to have it.

 
At Wed Mar 29, 06:50:00 AM 2006, Blogger Shilpa said...

Wow..Thats sooooo tempting.I wish you could mail me some of those...

 
At Wed Mar 29, 09:01:00 AM 2006, Blogger Ashwini said...

I wanna pick one up and just pop it into my mouth :-)

 
At Wed Mar 29, 09:53:00 AM 2006, Blogger BDSN said...

Wow!!!!! I luv this fusion...brilliant idea..will definitely giv a try....

 
At Wed Mar 29, 05:46:00 PM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

Everyone, THANKS SO MUCH!

your support and compliments and mean so much to me.

cheers!

 
At Thu Mar 30, 06:47:00 AM 2006, Blogger sailu said...

Great fusion idea this,SH, and the presentation with beautiful shots make it a winner.Keep it up!
Nice recipe and am taking note of it and I am very sure my 3 yr will lap them up..:)

 
At Thu Apr 27, 11:44:00 AM 2006, Anonymous greenwithenvy said...

I just came across this blog today.
I am not sure if you are working, and if you were not I "bet" you would make a terrific reporter cum photographer for a food magazine !

I almost feel like a veggie :) when I see your creativity .
Fantabulous pics and recipes!!

 
At Fri May 19, 01:14:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Hooked to SH said...

SH - brilliant idea n thanks a ton. I truly feel like a cheat borrowing ur recipes.. Am all set to serve this one for my weekend lunch for friends..Thanks again!

 
At Fri Jun 02, 07:58:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear SH ,
awesome blog...actually made fake shamosas for a party and got kudos..thanks to you..i have a doubt..will the chips become soggy after some time ?How long can i keep the chips like this ?..Thanks in advance..

 
At Fri Sep 08, 05:14:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've tried your fusion confusion with little alterations, I didn't have black beans at home so used some chick peas and instead of chutney i used some salsa it was soo... yummy my husband who is on diet couldn't resist it. Thankyou soo much for the wonderful idea..and BTW its true you are an amazing photographer. Today i am trying your Tomato rice with little alterations ha ha ha.. i always want to cook right away if i saw something that captures my eyes and taste buds... so the alterations...

 
At Fri Sep 08, 05:15:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've tried your fusion confusion with little alterations, I didn't have black beans at home so used some chick peas and instead of chutney i used some salsa it was soo... yummy my husband who is on diet couldn't resist it. Thankyou soo much for the wonderful idea..and BTW its true you are an amazing photographer. Today i am trying your Tomato rice with little alterations ha ha ha.. i always want to cook right away if i saw something that captures my eyes and taste buds... so the alterations...

 
At Sat Dec 16, 10:49:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
» »

 
At Sat Dec 23, 07:43:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been enticed by your pictures for some time now, I finally got around to making this today. I'm munching it as I type :)

Its amazing, simply delicious! The simulatenous flavors of sweet and sour and onions and tomatoes and cilantro and cream.... wow!

Keep up the good work!

 
At Thu Mar 08, 11:37:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
I've a party this weekend,i've a small doubt,do you layer it & serve or let the guests layer them.

 
At Wed Mar 21, 11:50:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Sneha said...

This is too tempting! I'm gonna try 'em right away! BTW, awesome photographs and love your writeups!

 
At Tue Apr 17, 12:05:00 AM 2007, Blogger Archana said...

i made this for a family party this weekend and it was a huge hit. We came home and had the leftovers for dinner. Thanks for terrific idea and recipe. I keep coming back hoping you have updated your blog.
Archana

 
At Sat May 26, 12:35:00 AM 2007, Blogger zobars said...

Hi Saffron Hut, I tried the chip and chat and it was awesome. My husband who is not a chat fan loved it too. Now if only you would come back to blog again ...:(

 
At Sun Dec 30, 10:05:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Aastha said...

Hey, I tried it today, it was great! Everyone loved it. I added some cucumbers and yogurt instead of sour cream. They were a hit!

 
At Thu Jun 19, 01:12:00 PM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man!! you are awesome! Your pix are the best on the net and I have been on your blog for two hrs now. Great, great stuff.

 
At Wed Jan 13, 07:31:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I inclination not concur on it. I think nice post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to read the intact story.

 
At Sun Jan 17, 05:06:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

 
At Thu Mar 04, 01:56:00 PM 2010, Blogger Shveta said...

Great recipe!I'll try this soon.
keep up the good work!

I have a cooking blog too:
http://shvetasrecipes.blogspot.com/

Hope you like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home