Monday, February 27, 2006

Simple Supper - Tomato Rice

tomato rice

Tomato rice with boondi raita and green tomato pickle


It was a hectic start to the week and when evening rolled around, I was too tired to cook anything elaborate. Some basmati rice, some frozen veggies from the freezer, a few stock ingredients from the pantry and piping hot tomato rice was ready in 20 minutes. Paired with soothing boondi raita and homemade green tomato avakkai pickle, it was a simple, satisfying weekday supper.

Ingredients:

2 cups basmati rice
2 generous tbsp canned tomato paste
1 small red onion chopped
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1 small potato
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp jeera
2 cardamom pods
2 cloves
1 small piece of cinnamon
a few curry leaves
salt to taste


tomato rice1
All the ingredients ready to cook


tomato rice2
Tomato rice cooked to perfection!


Method:

Heat the oil in a wide saucepan. Add jeera and then cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and the curry leaves. When the spices sizzle, add the chopped onion and saute lightly.

Add the ginger garlic paste. Add the frozen veggies, potatoes and tomato paste. Fry for a few seconds and then add the basmati rice. Fry the rice lightly as well.

Then add the coconut, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Add the water and let it come to a gentle boil. Lower the heat to the lowest setting and cover the lid. Let it cook undisturbed for 15-20 minutes.

Fluff up the rice and savour with some tasty pickles, raita and papad.

You can also fry all the ingredients and for the last step, just transfer everything to the rice cooker and let cook for a fuss-free dinner. I've done this when I need to step out of the house for 1/2 an hour, but want the rice to continue cooking when I'm away.

Tomato Rice - Super simple weekday supper.



Search Tags: ,, , , , ,


Search Labels:

18 Comments:

At Tue Feb 28, 03:29:00 PM 2006, Blogger shammi said...

Lovely pix... and I love tomato rice. :)

 
At Wed Mar 01, 01:44:00 AM 2006, Blogger Vaishali said...

Hi HJ/SH,
How do I chop oil and saute it? Just kidding :) I think, you meant onion. (It's the first paragraph in method. Thought you might want to correct that.)
A great recipe otherwise. I know that 'Too tired, little time, can't be bothered to cook more that one dish' feeling.

 
At Wed Mar 01, 04:57:00 AM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

Yikes! yes, onion is what I meant! thanks for pointing it out.

 
At Tue Mar 07, 09:28:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was a great simple recipe. thanks a bunch! just a note, you didn't mention how much water to use. folks might not know intuitively

 
At Tue Mar 07, 01:53:00 PM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

anon, good point. I use 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice.

Your mileage may vary depending on the type of rice, altitude, attitude etc :-) :-)

 
At Wed May 10, 04:49:00 AM 2006, Blogger Sumitha said...

I did try this recipe Saffron,came out good,shall post it on my blog soon...Bye!

 
At Sun May 14, 02:21:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Rajeshwari said...

Tried this recipe a couple of time. Both times it came out really good. *****

 
At Thu Jun 15, 05:08:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Trupti said...

Hi,
I tried your Tomato rice recipe for the first time today and it was a hit..so much so that my hubby wanted me to write to you and tell you that! I LOVE your blog, its among my favorites of all blogs. Your sense of simplicity makes this an awesome blog. Keep it up!
Cheers from Newfoundland,
Trupti

 
At Sun Nov 05, 11:08:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi SH,
I'm Meena & i too live in USA.I was browsing the net for recipes, and bumped on your lovely site one day.Have made tomato rice and few other entries....they came out great.I thank you for the site and recipes.keep going...i too plan to start my own blog in the days to come & will post some of my recipes too....have a great week ahead..bye...

 
At Fri Jan 12, 06:03:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi SH,

Having followed your recipe step-by-step, for the very first time my rice has been cooked to perfection...not under-cooked, not over cooked, no lumps...instead each grain of rice so delectably separate...Ah this is pure joy !

Thank you for the recipes...and your beautifully built site...very classy !

~JM

 
At Sun Jan 21, 05:47:00 PM 2007, Blogger Just 4 Kix said...

Hello Saffron Hut,

You have done it again. Thanks for the easy and practical recipe. I normally take 1.5 hours to cook a main meal (which mostly consists of dish of rice sprinkled with whatever veggie I can find ) and most of the time it turns out like a lumpy porridge or a colorful kichidi ( yup, I like to think positive ) but this time the rice was brilliant – was tasty , colorful and turned out just the way you predicted it would, I even managed to bake a chocolate cake after that as I finished cooking the tomato rice in 35 mins flat – yoo hoo !!!

Thanks once again
Just 4 Kix

 
At Wed Jun 13, 01:06:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Added a new value add to my blog this weekend - a news widget from www.widgetmate.com. I always wanted to show latest news for my keywords in my sidebar. It was very easy with this widget. Just a small copy paste and it was done. Great indeed.

 
At Wed Aug 22, 09:17:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Shankari said...

Loved this! Loved this! Loved this!

But loved the idea of a green tomato avakkai even more! Can you please post the receipe for that?

Thanks much,
Shankari

 
At Wed Apr 30, 12:12:00 AM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Saffron

Loved the preparation of Tomato rice and substituted with variety of vegies from the fridge (sweet potato, potatoes and cauliflower).

Thanks for sharing your recipes and keep up with your good work.

Janet

 
At Thu Aug 07, 05:42:00 PM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply awesome taste for the tomato rice, easy to cook , great instructions and best taste I ever had for tomato rice

 
At Tue Mar 23, 03:29:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone,

I've been looking to figure out a good place to start the acai berry free trial & was wondering if someone had some opinions on whether or not it works for weight loss? So far here's the one [url=http://acaiberries.zoomblog.com/]article[/url] I have been able to read online that seemed real for what my goals are. Opinions?

 
At Wed Apr 21, 06:53:00 PM 2010, Blogger Nitks said...

I tried this out and came out good.. thanks for the recipe...

 
At Fri Feb 25, 11:19:00 PM 2011, Blogger momsnetwork said...

I love tomato rice and will try this out next time!
__________________________
Good Gynecologist in Anna Nagar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home