Friday, February 24, 2006

Melting Snowman & Minestrone Soup



Minestrone SoupMinestrone Soup


Have you seen the commercial where the snowman comes in from the cold and starts to eat a bowl of soup? As he eats, the snow on him melts aways and in his place is this cute little boy with freckles on his face. I was reminded of this commercial today when my little one came back from school. I always feel so sorry for him when I see him with his backpack heavy with textbooks, a layered jacket, boots, hat and mittens. My memories of school are those of carefree days playing in the sun for hours on end till mom called me home for dinner. sigh...

Anyways, my little one has always loved soup, and cream of broccoli is his favorite. He wanted some soup today and since I had made c-o-b just yesterday, I decided to make some minestrone soup for him. It took 8-10 mins to make and he slurped it up without looking up from the bowl. What can be more satisfying for him and for me - the mom?

Here's how I make it:

Vegetables
Vegetables: tomatoes, carrots, pepper, onions, spinach



Pantry Ingredients
Pantry Ingredients: pasta, chickpeas, garlic, herbs, crushed red pepper, black pepper




Ingredients:

1/2 of a small white onion, chopped
1 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tsp tomato paste, or 1/2 small can of tomato sauce
1 garlic minced
2 tablespoons each of chopped carrots, green pepper (any veggies really)
a handful of spinach leaves (I used baby spinach from the salad section)
a fistful of pasta
a fistful of chickpeas (either soaked overnight or from a can)
1 tsp of italian seasoning
1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
salt, sugar and pepper to taste

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the italian seasonings, pepper and crushed garlic. Immediately add the chopped onions. Saute for a few seconds. Add the tomatoes. Saute till the tomatoes turn soft. Add all the remaining ingredients except the spinach and add 2 cups of water. Let boil for about 8-10 minutes till the pasta is cooked. Add the spinach at the end and boil till the leaves wilt. Sprinkle with parmesean cheese if desired ( not for the little one, but I love it)

Enjoy!

This soup can be varied in so many ways. Sometimes I add cubed potatoes, zucchini, corn. Sometimes I use rajma beans or black beans instead of the chickpeas. I add a spoonful of pesto if I have some, to kick it up a notch. All versions are equally delicious.

Minestrone Soup - simple, delicious heartwarming food for the body and soul.





Search Tags: ,, , , , ,


Search Labels:

10 Comments:

At Wed Mar 29, 04:47:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Saffron Hut,

I have started visiting your blog regularly - originally directed here from Mahanandi. I tried this minestrone soup and it turned out great! I love broccoli too and I am searching for a good recipe for the cream of broccoli soup. Would you give me a recipe for that?

Fantastic job with the photos and great presentation! Will continue to remain an avid reader,

Aparna

 
At Wed Mar 29, 05:44:00 PM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

Aparna, welcome to my blog!

Glad that you liked the soup. It is a favorite in our family too. I will post the recipe for c-o-b soon :)

cheers!

 
At Mon Apr 03, 09:54:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Saffron Hut,
This is one fulfilling soup. I tried it yesterday and it turned out great. However, i was wondering how do you store the remaining tomato paste which is opened from a can?

Kiran

 
At Sat May 13, 04:31:00 PM 2006, Blogger Saffron said...

kiran, you can drop spoonfuls of the tomato paste onto a wax paper and pop it in the freezer. When they are frozen solid, put the blobs in a freezer ziplock baggie and freeze. Really handy to have this around. Hope that helps!

 
At Fri Oct 13, 02:11:00 PM 2006, Anonymous shilpa said...

Thats a nice soup SH. Will try it soon.

 
At Sat Dec 16, 01:37:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recipe sounds very easy. Can you tell if I can find the italian seasoning in regular grocery store??

Thanks

 
At Mon Feb 05, 02:11:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

 
At Fri Mar 16, 11:02:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! film editing schools

 
At Thu May 03, 09:49:00 PM 2007, Blogger Veggie Blast said...

Hi SH,

I tried this soup today. Was fantastique...I was short of a couple of ingredients so did some quick fixes but it turned out pretty cool.
I must say that I am inspired to start blogging about my cooking experiences after going through your blog. Great work! You've heard this a lot, and yet again one more time, your photos ROCK!

 
At Mon Sep 10, 05:47:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonimous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home